The stories and pictures are heart-wrenching. Children and teenagers separated from their parents and warehoused in gated pens, internment camps and “tender age shelters”. Surely this is a scene from some faraway country, some distant time. This can’t possibly be the reality in 2018 in the United States of America.
And yet, it is.
Make no mistake, this is NOT a partisan issue, it is a humanitarian crisis. Compassionate voices from both sides of the aisle, including every living First Lady, have denounced this practice as cruel and inhumane.
We shouldn’t wonder how this happened. The purposeful and systematic Otherizing of immigrants is complete. If you’re still confused about how “good people” can accept this kind of atrocity, let me take you through the steps. If you follow these 12 steps completely, you too will see the logic in separating families and your conscience will be clear.
- Always, always, always refer to The Other with broad, demeaning generalizations. Do not make the mistake of humanizing those who oppose you. Instead, lump them in groups and refer to them in the broadest terms possible – criminals, pigs, rapists, socialists, liars, cheats. Avoid calling them by their given name or humanizing them in any way.
- Remember, The Other is anyone who looks, believes or votes differently than you do. All who oppose you are The Other and they should be discredited loudly, emphatically and often. When a member of your party breaks ranks, Otherize them immediately and discredit them in any way possible.
- Never take the side of the vulnerable, the weak or the disenfranchised. Instead, always refer to them as losers, thugs and criminals. Repeat these words loudly and often.
- Court news sources that will disseminate your propaganda and repeat your lies. Give them exclusive interviews and quote them whenever possible to ensure they return the favor. Always blame The Other. Take all the credit and accept none of the blame.
- Even when you have all the power and control, portray yourself as a victim. Convince your followers that they too are victims, regardless of their privilege, power or status. Remind them of The Good Old Days, before the arrival of The Other.
- Surround yourself with religious leaders who will proclaim a blessing on everything you do and who will encourage their followers to do the same. Praise them, promise them power, learn their language and look sober and serious in their presence.
- Continually stir the pot. Say and do things that are outrageous and offensive. Do this often enough until it becomes the norm. A constant state of crisis creates a diversion. People will become bored of the crises and binge-watch Netflix instead.
- Promote fear – this is essential if you want to truly demonize The Other. Facts are good but not necessary. Instead, present ideas, possibilities, nightmare scenarios and convince your followers they are in danger from The Other. Remember if you repeat a lie loudly enough and often enough, it becomes an Alternate Truth.
- Do not, I repeat do NOT waste your time in thoughtful conversation or face-to-face dialogue with those who do not believe the way you do. Instead, communicate only through memes, tweets, reposts of your favorite news anchors and angry social media rants. Remember, when all else fails, scream the words “Fake News!” This is an all-purpose phrase and can apply to virtually any conversation.
- As it relates to immigrants, the Ultimate Other, be sure to muddy the waters as much as possible. Don’t confuse the issue by making distinctions between immigrants and asylum seekers or refugees and Dreamers. Instead, always refer to them as Illegals or Criminals. If necessary, refer to their presence as an “infestation”.
- When opposed, double down. Remember YOU have all the power, but you are also a victim. This is not an easy tightrope to walk, but with time and experience, you can do it.
- When the opposition heats up, get your religious friends to quote Scriptures that support your cause. Pick and choose at your discretion. Avoid the words of Jesus.
Once you have convinced your followers that The Other is evil, it’s just a hop, skip and a jump to taking away their children with impunity. When The Snowflakes start to scream about it, blame The Other.